From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:18:51 +0100
Libby asks about a 4 week old baby whose stools are yellow or green,
sometimes alternating, sometimes yellow with a green streak.
"The baby's growth is good, urine normal, plenty of wet and soiled diapers,
rare colicky behavior, but the poop remains streaked with a green color."
Mother is concerned about the color of the stools.

As long as the baby is thriving and the BF is going well, I wouldn't be
worried about this variation in color.  I'm not sure what 'rare colicky
behavior' is; if it is related to mother's ingestion of particular foods,
she could modify her diet, and maybe the stools would change color, maybe
not.  Maybe the baby would stop the colicky behavior and maybe not.  Wasn't
it Jack Newman who recommended yellow glasses for the mother in cases like
this?  It just sounds like an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' to me.
Yellow stools can turn green after exposure to air too.

Yesterday I had a family in with their thriving, happy baby for a
post-discharge weight check.  They reported with some concern that the baby
had had 'diarrhea' for the past several days.  This was their understanding
of what was going on, when the baby stooled in the middle of feeds, making
loose, bright yellow stools with curds in them, that ran up her back and
down her legs.  So we got that straightened out right off, and the baby's
diarrhea was instantly cured!  BTW, they had not sought medical attention
for the diarrhea either, so the knowledge deficit was quite serious, really.

Rachel Myr
about to hit the hay in Kristiansand, Norway