From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:32:30 -0500
Heather-
Thanks for sharing the info about BFing P&P at Derby City General Hospital
in England! I love the idea of auditing of "supplements", and tracking who's
doing what how often! I suspect that would really make a difference in the
kind of "automatic" bottle-giving we see so much of. It would be so easy to
see who the main bottle-givers were, and just the thought of mentoring with
a more BF-friendly nurse would probably curb their vigor! It's hard for me
to imagine the managers at the hospitals I'm familiar with actually making
this auditing a needs-to-be-done task; in these times of incredibly lean
staffing it's so much less time (read:money)-consuming to SAY your hospital
supports breastfeeding than to put the time (read:money again!) into
ensuring that existing policies are actually getting implemented.

I've gotten so much response to my l-o-n-g post about this issue that it's
quite clear what a big hot area this is. Everywhere - US, Canada, UK,
Israel. Well, at least we can take comfort that we're not alone...On second
thought, no, that's not comforting, it's even more disturbing...Hmmmm.

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY