From:
Sue Jacoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 23:19:31 -0500
As far as the baby needing to nurse all night- this just does NOT seem to me
to be that unusual!  The fact that breastmilk is his sole source of nutrition
is also not remarkable at his age.  This mom is understandably stressed-
pregnant and mothering a six month old- but because of his age and behavior I
really believe the baby needs the security of mom's body and breast right
now.  I would try to help her find ways of accepting her baby's need for her
presence.

Is she aware that six month olds are notorious for night time nursing
marathons due to the fact that they are so distractible during the day-
practicing sitting and crawling, etc?  Sometimes, just reminding a mother
that this is a normal developmental stage is very reassuring and can allow
her to relax and accept it more easily.

Sounds like she is struggling to get up and move away from him at naptime-
how is SHE getting enough rest?  I would hope she is getting naps  herself.
 For this reason, laying down with the baby at his naptimes seems like a
*good thing* even if he is latched on!  Increasing her presence may even
decrease his need to stay latched continuously.

The fact that the baby is a restless sleeper and has not taken to solids
would make me wonder about allergies- Has she stepped-up dairy in order to
follow a traditional pregnancy food plan- and is this irritating her little
guy?  She really needs some expert nutrition counseling, being pregnant and
nursing such a young child.  I agree that finding some solids her child can
handle is a good idea, BUT if he is allergy-prone this really could be too
soon for solids.  I had a friend who's child slept and nursed this way and
turned out highly allergic to LOTS of things.

Many six month olds want to nurse a lot because it soothes their teething
pain. (She can try teething tablets, etc.)

Seems to me this mother would really benefit from mother support group
meetings, and especially with others with closely-spaced children.  She is
undoubtedly wondering (panicking?) about how she is going to manage with two
so young!

I have seen mothers in my own group needing to do a LOT of talking it
out/mental work preparing to add a new baby to the family so soon- they
REALLY need to prepare their lives- accepting that they will be knee deep in
babies for the next couple of years. I have never found that moving away from
the first child was ever helpful- remaining close now can help solidify that
foundation of trust that needs to be there next year when she is dealing with
a new baby as well as a normally needy one-year old.

She also may need a perspective on what developmentally will be happening in
the next six months or so - like the fact that although many six monthers are
wakeful at night, they usually settle down once the *phase* passes.   I think
her statement that she is <<determined that she will meet her baby's needs
and not ever leave him to cry it out.>> should be validated.  Abusive
childhood or not, hers seems to me a healthy and healing philosophy.  Now she
needs positive and affirming help living her philosophy-  to have others
acknowledge her struggle.  She needs perspective, she needs sleep, she needs
super good nourishment, and she needs ongoing emotional support.  I really
hope she can find a support group!

Sue Jacoby, IBCLC & LLLL (who can't seem to say anything in less than 600
words... and so tries to limit the frequency of her responses!)