From:
Nancy Rupert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:09:38 -0800
||Absolutely Jennifer. If no one bought it, no one would make
||it. It's the
||quintessential capitalist tenet. In this case, if no one made
||formula, we
||would rely on banked milk. As a business, it would flourish
||(or perhaps be
||more like the blood banking system, supported primarily by
||donations but sold
||on the open market).

Actually, I think a more likely scenario is that many more mothers would be
feeding straight cow's milk or homemade formulas to their infants.  The
Canadian Paediatric Society recently (last year?) encouraged mothers not to
make homemade formula, but included a recipe(!) for the best homemade
formula IF mothers were going to make it (mothers apparently are rejecting
formula in increasing numbers due to cost).  I've also seen recipes for
homemade formula in health food stores (shudder).

If some women cannot afford formula, then won't be buying breastmilk from
milk banks.  :-(

Nancy Rupert
LLL leader, Port Coquitlam, BC