From:
michelle i scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 16:26:32 -0500
Mosby's Pharmacology in Nursing has the following note on capsaicin, which incidentally is cayenne pepper.
"Capsaicin cream (Zostrix), a substnace obtainded from hot peppers is under study for the treatment of chronic postheretic neuralgia.  Reported results state that it is both safe and effective and, in many instances, superior to other therapies.  Capsaicin causes a release of  substance P from nerve in a temporary anesthetic effect.  The skin becomes less sensitive to painful stimuli.  This product was approved by the FDA under the orphan drug grant and several lower dose products are now available over the counter.  A more concentrated formulation has been proposed for prescription status.  It is currently under study for other painful conditions, such as diabetic neuropathy, reflex sympathetic dystrophy, and postmastectomy syndrome. (Check, l988)"
   It occurs to me that maybe this has something to do with the Indian ability to walk on hot coals...as certain parts of India consume this spice liberally and perhaps it is exuded from the skin?  Sort of like garlic does?.
    Since the above reference discusses topical use of capsaicin, I would offer caution to the breastfeeding mother since the result could be to make the milk hot pepper flavored--maybe not too appealing for a baby unaccustomed to spicy milk, on the other hand she/he may become a hot salsa lover. Capsicum is typically used as a gastrointestinal stimulant   and I would be interested to know what kind of problem this mother has that makes her want to use it.

I am a recent subcriber to LACTNET and live in the southern NH area.  I have been an IBCLC since l990 and find the subject of lactation to be one of my life passions.    Michelle Scott, MA, RD, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]