From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:10:31 -0700
> From: Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
>
> This is the response I got from the ACS (Am Cancer Society) when I wrote to
> them about more emphasis on the protection of breastfeeding and cancers.
>
> ----------------
> The ACS will continue to list breast feeding as one way that a woman can
> lower her risk of getting breast cancer on our web site, in our annual
> Breast Cancer Facts and Figures publication, and in materials that list
> breast cancer risk factors.  Because our web site has so much information,
> it often seems like topics get "buried" but there is really no way around
> that.  If someone opens our site and looks at the breast cancer
> information, it is at the beginning of the section on preventing breast
> cancer.  It is unlikely that additional attention or promotion will be
> given to this topic given that the risk reduction is small and dependent on
> long duration of breast feeding.

<snip>

> --------------------------
> I'm not sure what my next step should be, any suggestions?

I think it is good news that that ACS is discussing breastfeeding in their
literature - clearly they have a policy to include it when discussing risk
factors. This is a good thing. They should be congratulated for the emphasis
they do have.

Next steps?

If there is anything that is factually inaccurate they could be asked to
correct the information.

If there is anything that should be included that is not, they should be
encouraged to add the information - for example, they provide the specific
risk reduction statistics based on duration.  They might also note
breastfeeding reduces the cancer risk for the baby. They might the change
their language to address increased risk but I note they do not use this
language when presenting other risk factors (obesity, alcohol consumption.)

Other breast cancer information providers who talk about prevention should
be encouraged to include information about breastfeeding - the fact that the
ACS does so is a positive example that can be provided when persuading other
groups. I'll be checking out the Canadian Cancer web sites. (And an aside, I
noticed the web site of the National Women's Health Information Center -
http://www.4women.gov, did not include risk reduction information regarding
breastfeeding in its section on prevention of breast cancer or Diabetes Type
1, even though that information is included its breastfeeding section - I
have written and asked them to make the change.)

-- Jodine Chase

PS

Per the email above, the American Cancer Society's web site contains these
references to breast cancer and breastfeeding:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_2_2X_What_causes_breast_canc
er_5.asp?sitearea=

"What Causes Breast Cancer?
Breast Cancer Risk and Lifestyles
Breast feeding  Many studies have shown that breastfeeding lowers breast
cancer risk. This could be because breast feeding lowers a womanıs total
number of menstrual periods."

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_2_2X_Can_breast_cancer_be_pr
evented_5.asp?sitearea=

Can Breast Cancer Be Prevented?

Although we know some of the risk factors linked to breast cancer, we do not
yet know what causes most breast cancer. It could be that a woman of average
risk for breast cancer might lower her risk somewhat by changing those risk
factors that can be changed. These include giving birth to several children
and breast feeding them for several months, not drinking alcohol, exercising
regularly, and staying slim.