From:
Sarah Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 07:05:04 +0100
On 15/04/2012 02:24, Laura Spitzfaden wrote:
> I'm wondering if there could be a supplement that a baby with galactosemia could take to break down the galactose.  I know there isn't a such thing, currently, but it seems like it should be possible.
>
> Maybe someone who has more knowledge about this could explain why there isn't such a supplement.  I am guessing that since there isn't such a thing that it is not really possible, I just don't understand why this is so.
Well, I would have thought it should be technically quite feasible to
synthesize the missing enzyme, although I've no idea what the
cost-effectiveness issues would be for pharmaceutical companies given
how few people would need it.  But it wouldn't help breastfed babies,
because enzymes are proteins and are simply digested themselves when
taken orally, so a liquid form would be useless.  (An adult could take a
capsule form, but that's no help for babies.)

Best wishes,

Dr Sarah Vaughan
MB ChB MRCGP