From:
Julie Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:28:31 -0500
Thanks to all who responded to my post about when/whether to take
antibiotics for mastitis, particularly the wise woman (sorry I deleted the
post!) who pointed me to the WHO publication on the subject, which is now a
part of my library.

The mom is doing much better.  She took only one dose of the antibiotic and
stopped it when she realized she was feeling much better. Now onto her
second problem:  since she began her bout with mastitis, the nipple in the
affected breast stings and burns post-feed for a few minutes.   This is even
afer the mastitis has cleared and the breast doesn't look angry or hurt
anymore.  I looked at the nipple, and it looked a bit blanched post-feed,
but only for about 30 seconds.  There was no redness or fissure.  Is this
some kind of temporary vasospasm connected with the mastitis?  If so, how
long does it take to clear?  Or is it something else?  Thanks in advance for
sharing your wisdom...

WarmLLLy,
Julie Rosen, LLLL in NJ