From:
Karen Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:46:39 -0400
I just finished seeing a mother. The baby is 3.5 months. 15lbs-13oz looks
chubby and healthy. Baby has been fussy at breast for the last week or so
and weight gain has been a little slow the last 3 weeks. Mother's milk
supply may be down and she will start pumping to bring it up. Baby is also
going through the 'curious' stage. He's on and off, looking around. But
still managed to transfer 1.8 oz of milk in a few short minutes at the
breast (he wasn't very interested in feeding. I counselled this mother to
try to break suction before baby pulls off for his look around. However,
when the baby pulls off, mom's nipple is nice and round. I don't get the
feeling the soreness is related to latch.
Mom's nipples are very sore and have been for the last 3 weeks. Mom used
Gentian Violet 3 weeks ago for 4 days and had no improvement. She  The
nipples are pink and look sore and possibly yeasty. No cracks. is  prone
to yeast infections.We talked about using an anti-fungal on her nipples
and changing diet to help decrease her yeast susceptibility.

However,this is the curious thing, her nipples turn purple when the baby
is feeding. Its a very deep purple and I'm wondering if it is related to
her soreness. Has anyone heard of this?

Karen Nielsen RN IBCLC