Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 03:51:02 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
I think in light of the discussion, it is important to define attachment parenting.  Dr. Sears explains it well on his website: 

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T130300.asp

The basic tenents are birth bonding, breastfeeding, babywearing, sleeping close to baby, responsiveness to baby's cry, wariness of scheduling or baby-training, and balance between your needs and the needs of your family.  I, too, believe that the term "attachment" can lead to an unproductive comparison (I'm attached to my kid an you're not).  

I would argue that the responsiveness aspect of AP is vital to the breastfeeding relationship.  If the mother does not respect the language of the baby, it is unlikely that the trust relationship that is so vital to breastfeeding can flourish.  

In many cultures in which breatfeeding, co-sleeping, and babywearing is the norm, parents also beat their children.  I know this first-hand from my time living in West Africa.  I bring this up to dispell the "holier than thou" aura surrounding AP practices. 

This brings me to a second question:  As breastfeeding advocates, are we BREASTMILK advocates or are we BABY advocates as well?  Or does that depend on the situation?  

Jess  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2