Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:04:44 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (54 lines)
Hello Wise Ones,

I'm working with a woman who is adopting a baby in late February/early March and is 
concerned that inducing lactation or feeding her baby at breast with an SNS will cause 
hormonal issues that would be harmful to her health.  Below is information directly from 
her, which I have permission to post.  Has anyone worked with a mom in a similar 
situation?

On another note, she has several friends who have offered to give her breast milk for her 
baby.  Will milk from a mother with a 6 or 8 month old be complete nutrition for a 
newborn?  

Thank you all very much!
Ann Marie Burkhart, IBCLC
Bloomington, Indiana

Email from adoptive mom:

One part of my problem is Graves Disease/Hyperthyroidism. The other is still unknown... 
which is what worries me. We are waiting on the Repeated Pregnancy Loss Testing to 
come back.

They have not been able to explain the obviously hormonally-related symptoms I have so 
far. The blood tests they've done on my hormones have all been "normal" but I don't 
ovulate on my own, I sweat profusely, I have terrible acne, and rapid heart rate at 
certain times each month. It seems to be a medical mystery. The doctors are "working on 
figuring it out" (whatever that means).

Because of all of this, as much as I want to breastfeed, I'm afraid of adding another 
factor. It's so difficult to distinguish what's going on as it is.

I'd love any input/thoughts you might have on all of this.

I'm considering looking for breast milk donation and using a SNS for feeding (whether it 
be donated breast milk or formula). 

I don't know whether attempting to pump/stimulate prior to the birth of our child will pose 
additional confusion to the diagnosis process that we are desperate to get to the bottom 
of.

I also don't know if using a SNS to feed will bring on confusion of a diagnosis if we're still 
working on finding one after the baby arrives.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2