From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:56:25 -0500
Elisheva wrote:  "I would have thought that to get those "good" bacteria so
far from the anus all the way into the deep dark depths of the vagina [:>]
would have required fecal contamination of a degree that would be causing
all
sorts of nastiness.  Not so?  Or do the lactobacilli migrate there somehow
on
their own?    I like to imagine them walking across the perineum :) -- but
as
you can tell I'm having trouble picturing the mechanics of this whole
process."

I was more picturing the over abundant yeast walking across the perineum.  I
picture the filaments kind of "digging into" the perineum and on up the
vagina over time.  I picture them hanging on tightly so not able to be
removed with normal hygiene.  Perhaps there might even be some direct cross
over through wall between the rectum and the vagina.

I am learning how much I DON'T know from this discussion.  Valerie's
explanation of histamine increasing permeability is fascinating.  Mysti's
brief note has me quite intrigued and I am looking forward to more on
Tuesday.

Jack, you also speak in your lectures about the changing nature of yeast.
Can the more virulent form migrate over and/or through adjacent tissues?

Carla