From:
Mimosalee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 12:40:17 EST
Dear Lactnetters,

I have been following the thread concerning the relationship between
circumcision and breastfeeding problems in the newborn.  I know this might be
considered a flammable topic, but I'm simply wondering---has anyone offered
information to expectant parents concerning the case for leaving their newborn
intact?

We all bemoan the many physicians who simply ask expectant moms if they are
planning to breastfeed or bottlefeed, without offering any further information
on breastfeeding, because they "don't want the mom to feel guilty."

In my location, the vast majority of parents who choose this option do so
merely because they want their boy to "look like Dad," or because they've only
heard old medical myths concerning hygiene and disease.  They are completely
unaware of the risks of removing this "unnecessary" bit of very sensitive
skin, which protects the penis much like an eyelid does the eyeball.  They
have no clue how traumatic this surgical procedure can be for their baby.
(I'm not sure if the use of anaesthetic is universal practice here or not.)

I do know that at least one pediatrician in town (the most breastfeeding-
friendly one, too) now absolutely refuses to perform routine circumcisions.

I wholeheartedly agree that waiting in order to perform circumcisions on week-
old babies is better than doing it to the kid who was born yesterday,
especially in the interests of establishing breastfeeding.

However, along with that information, maybe we could at least offer a
referenced handout in the hopes that the parents would wait at least 18 years
for their baby to grow up to decide the issue for himself.

For instance, there's a thoroughly referenced article by Dr. Paul Fleiss in
the Winter 1997 issue of Mothering magazine, pages 36-45, that might be
appropriate for parents. It also mentions the link between newborn
circumcision and disruption of breastfeeding.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the subject,

Lisa Mo
LLL Leader, Bowling Green, KY
(Mom of three boys--the weaker sex of the species, but they sure are cute!)