From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:00:13 -0500
I was reading this thread and one of my hot bottons was
turned to the on position. I have a question for those of you
who work in NICUs.

When the former NICU babies come to see me for lactation
consults I am usually confronted with a 5 or 6 pound baby
who has been accustomed to being fed every 4+ hours.
Some of the babies take 3-4 ounces at a time (by bottle)
then sleep for 4 - 5 hour stretches. The parents tell me that
is how the hospital managed the feeds. Is this standard? It
really puts a wrench in my task. The parents are not always
happy to hear that their baby will probably sleep for shorter
periods and feed more often as BF is undertaken. And it puts
me in the position of sounding critical of the NICU when I
present them with the physiological basis for frequent feeds.

What's up in *your* NICU, those of you who labor there?

Margery Wilson, IBCLC