From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2009 02:43:12 -0400

Joy,
I wonder if you considered that only babies born at home reflect the physiologic
norm? How can we legitimately ask what might be normal weight loss unless we
look at only normal births? So much is different between the two scenarios, that
the only question you might ask in hospital births is, what is the "normal"
weight loss for babies born in xyz institution or setting? We certainly know
that the hormonal states of the mothers are different. We know, for example, that
the highest level of oxytocin a woman will ever experience in her lifetime is in the
hours after a normal birth and that when she experiences this peak, oxytocin levels
are higher on day 3 than in other women. How can we think this does not impact supply,
and thus weight gain? Even the obsession with weight is greatly reduced at home than
in hospital. How might that obsession impact the mother's confidence and her feeding
outcomes? Personally, I think early weight gain is very important, but that it mostly
takes care of itself when physiologically normal birth is followed by physiologically
normal feeding. IMO, have no adequate way to assess this issue in hospital births
due to the confounders of drugs and other interventions.

 Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC