Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:29:47 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Mom is tandem nursing a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old - Dr told her that she
 needed to wean them so that they would have "normal" hemaglobin tests.
 ?????  I know doesn't make sense to me either, but she said that is what he
 said.  She wanted to know what the "normal" range for hemaglobin tests would
 be.  She needs the info for WIC, and doesn't want to wean for something
 that, as she put it "Just doesn't make any sense, to me." >>

Who did the initial hemaglobin/hematocrit tests to diagnose the children with
anemia?  WIC?
This may be unfair, but I have found that WIC seems very aggressive in
"diagnosing" infants/children with some sort of problem (anemia is one of
their favorites) so that the woman/infant/child qualifies for WIC assistance.
To suggest that a mom needs to wean her "anemic" children so as to use WCM
(whole cow's milk) in its place would be terribly incorrect and the equivalent
of using gasoline to try to put out a fire, eh?
Andrew MD