From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:08:08 -0400
From the La Leche League website:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/emergency.html

Emergency Breastfeeding Resources

La Leche League is working to compile helpful information for
breastfeeding mothers who have been affected by recent natural
disasters. We will add information as we receive it.
Breastfeeding Help

AD HOC GROUP ON INFANT FEEDING IN EMERGENCIES FACT SHEET :
This document is in an easy-to-print format. Please use your "back"
button to return to our site.
 http://www.ennonline.net/ife/report/factsheet.html

Media Releases:
o       When an Emergency Strikes Breastfeeding Can Save Lives:
January 2005 media release from LLLI, with general information and
references to the tsunami in India
http://www.lalecheleague.org/Release/emergency.html
o       When an Emergency Strikes Breastfeeding Can Save Lives, Part 2:
September 2005 media alert with information specific to Hurricane
Katrina http://www.lalecheleague.org/Release/emergency.html

•       Breastfeeding in Times of Chaos
from NEW BEGINNINGS, our member publication.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec01p204.html

•       Frequently Asked Questions:
o       Relactation Tips: Strategies for rebuilding a milk supply--useful if
other foods are in short supply
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/relactation.html
o       How Can I Increase My Milk Supply? These tips will also help a
mother who wishes to relactate.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
o       FAQ on Building Up Milk Supply: Originally for mothers who pump milk
when away from their babies, this FAQ has some very helpful tips.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

•       Hand Expression: an article with information on hand expressing
milk, if a pump is not available.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html

•       La Leche League Groups in the US: Use these links to find telephone
numbers of LLL Leaders--our 800 line has been swamped, so this is the
quickest way to find help. Note that numbers in parts of the US with
hurricane damage may not be working.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html

Other Useful Information
•       The Mamatoto site has little videos on it right now that show how to
use common clothing items to make baby carriers.
http://www.mamatoto.org/