From:
"J. Marcus" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 13:20:37 -0400
Bravo to Dr. Jay and to the RN who posted of her valiant attempts to
share her updated knowledge without seeming condescending.  My own
attempts at this have come as a LLL Leader, student LC, and, all too
often, in the role of consumer (read: mom; also read: most likely to be
ignored).  I actually had a (former) M.D. tell me (with a smile - ha,
ha) that I should have my Medscape privileges revoked when I asked him
if he had seen a not that recent study of which he had not heard.

I was sorely tested most recently last week when I discovered quite
suddenly that my 13 month old son is allergic to Augmenten (of course,
by being covered repeatedly with extraordinary amounts of vomit while
waiting for his head to start spinning around).  The ped on call
insisted that breastmilk was not a clear fluid.  After a fruitless back
and forth, I could tell he was not listening to my cites.  I knew then
and there that my decisions about my son were going to be made without
the assistance of this doc.  I realized that the fact that he was a ped.
with no understanding of this most basic matter of infant feeding meant
that I would not be able to take seriously anything he had to say on
treatment - not just on feeding.

While I would have continued a relationship with this doc if I were
advocating on behalf of a client, probably sending him some info and a
polite letter, for me it was a litmus test and he flunked.

My point, I suppose, is that my hope is that the day will come when docs
realize that this ignorance affects their businesses.  Or perhaps my
dream is that the day will come when it actually DOES affect their
businesses.

Jake

--
Jake Marcus Cipolla: freelance writer & editor; LC in training;
work-at-home mom to Luca (7/94), Nicholas (5/97), & Aidan (3/00).