From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:31:30 -0700
I just wanted to add one of my favorites to the fairy dust stories!  My
adopted daughter, Julia, was hospitalized with RSV pneumonia, when she was
13 months old.  By this time, I'd had her for not quite seven months, and
she had just started nursing barely a month before.  Because she had been
born with a diaphragmatic hernia, and a very underdeveloped left lung, the
RSV had the potential to be as deadly for her as for a newborn.  She didn't
have any other severe symptoms, except for the fact that her oxygen levels
were very low, and she was extremely lethargic. When she was admitted to the
hospital, we were told to expect her to be there for a couple weeks.  She'd
been so traumatized from all the medical procedures she'd had during her
early life, that she was terrified of everyone she saw in the hospital.  She
had only been nursing 2 or 3 times a day, prior to that and, although I
estimated she was getting at least two ounces of breast milk per feeding,
she had always insisted on having the Lact-Aid there.  Fortunately, in the
hospital, she decided she wanted to nurse constantly, without the Lact-Aid.
This was beneficial in multiple ways, including making it possible for her
to rest, feeling safe and secure, and protected from the people she was
afraid of.  I had the hospital staff attend to most of what they needed to
do with her still latched (this obviously offended one very young nurse, but
I hope she learned something from it).  After about 60 hours total in the
hospital, Julia had improved so much that they let us take her home.  She
still needed oxygen for a few more days, at home, but was happy and active
and eating everything in sight!  It would have been worth the extreme effort
it took me to get her started nursing, just to have been able to see her
through that bout with RSV!

Aloha,
Darillyn