Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:05:55 +0000
Instead of just storing the milk, why is no one measuring the amount
of this drug in the milk?  That might be more useful than "we're
leaning to not giving breastmilk".

This drug has low oral bioavailability (59%).  Plasma concentrations
are reported at 1-10 micrograms/ml.  If the MP ratio is 1, a baby
getting 500 ml of milk/day would get 500-5000 micrograms/day.  Or 5 mg
as a maximum dose, and only about 1/2 of this would likely be absorbed
by the baby.  This seems pretty small and likely much less than the
baby ever got in utero.

Check the milk levels.  I would say it would be alright to breastfeed.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC