From:
nandan fogelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:56:28 +0200
Dear Wise Ones,
I am working with a mother and baby who are at their wits end.  This is
Mom's second baby.  She has PCOS and thyroid issues and struggled with her
milk supply with the first.  She breastfed her for a year always with
supplements and fighting for every drop of milk.  With the next one, she
felt that she had lots of milk and baby was growing well.  She called me
several times.  Things started going down hill - baby gaining less and less
satisfied as time went on.  Mom started taking herbal galactagogues.  I went
to see her when baby was about 4.5 months old and gaining very little and
sleeping very little.  It was obvious that baby, despite a good latch, was
not transferring a lot of milk and in need of supplements.  We made a plan
for supplementing and building the milk supply.  Unfortunately, the baby
will not take any supplements in any way.  She completely rejects ebm and
abm from a bottle, cup or spoon.  She will not take any solid food.  The
baby is now 6 months old and gaining about 10 grams a week.  She eats all
the time, briefly, and will only eat longer when she is almost asleep.  She
is easily distracted and has to be nursed in a dark silent room.  She has to
be held all the time in order to be happy (she used to play happily on the
floor) and only sleeps briefly and lightly.  The mother has an appointment
at an excellent eating clinic a week from Thursday but can't imagine
continuing like this until then.  I am going tomorrow to see if the baby
will eat from an SNS.  If any one else has any ideas of how to get some more
calories into this little girl I would love to hear them before I go on my
visit tomorrow.
Thank you so much,
Chayn Fogelman IBCLC Israel