Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:55:08 EST

Try to show them that they don't have to know it all, just where to find  it.
Create a resource list that includes the major "good" books, the LLLI CBI,
etc. Maybe you can index it into journals to subscribe to, reference books,
patient education resources, professional resources ( like the CBI and LLLI
Professional liason department), and websites. Also include an explanation of
our alphabet soup-or Who's who in Breastfeeding. ILCA's Guide to Breastfeeding
Management in the First 14 Days tells all ( and why)  in an easy to  use
format. Maybe you can give them that as an handout.
When I do a presentation for HCPs, I like to put my handouts in a separate
folder from the other conference handouts, and label that so they can easily
find their breastfeeding notes.
Other important notes I think they need to know about:
Optimizing the opportunities for mothers milk when mothers and babies have
to be separated
Evaluating the use of birth control methods in a breastfeeding mother
Debunking myths
Evaluating a breastfeeding's baby's growth and development
How the breasts work ( or as I like to say-"they're not faucets that you
just turn on and off")
Good luck.

Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC