From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 13:20:51 -0500
I think there are many out in our  network who are not seeing the potential
big picture.

I agree with Katherine that the "need" for a pump is a US issue.  Not all
women need a pump, and if you are giving out pumps I sure hope they are being
demonstrated and careful instructions on when and how to use them.  Now if
you are doing this than take time to show hand expression could be workable.
 What I have seen in some hospitals in the Boston area is the pump just given
to the new mom or one reccomended but not demonstrated.  This is just as bad
as these parents buying a brand we feel is inferior.  What are you going to
do with a mom who does more damage with incorrect use of a "good" pump?  Or
does not get any milk out when she is engorged?  Or gives up because it hurt
too much, obtained too little milk, or was too much of an effort?  Those
stats are out there.

Instead of debating whether pumps should or should not be given out, I think
the issue should be more support and education and then have the pump and
equipment available as needed on a case-per-case basis.

Pediatricians and other clinicains get caught up in gagets and see them as an
easy way out and possibly less phone calls.  I have found they have very
little knowledge of these gagets just what the end results should be. There
was one pedi I knew who was reccomending SNS's to every mom.  Not every
devise is appropriate and should be carefully desided per indvidual case,
this includes pumps.  There has been many a discussion on the net about a mom
who could not get a good milk supple with a pump.

In regards to the approach to engorgement, why is the first choice a PUMP?
 How about frequent feedings, rooming-in, and hand expressing?  Also to the
LC's either in the hospital or private practice I feel your roles is to seek
out and give the extra support to the moms in need not just hand out a gaget
and send them on their way. What the hospitals and clinics need to see is
satisfaction and success.  For the other hospital staff they need the
education, probably more than the new parents and again not to get into a
routine of just giving out a gaget to solve or head off a problem.

As  a group we need to come togeather on this matter, not divided, but keep
in mind we all have the same goal " to improve breastfeeding rates" and to do
this without compromising our ethics.  Just my .02.

Ann Perry RN IBCLC