Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:48:47 -0500
Just thought I would let the list members know that the school leadership met
today and decided the 15 year old new mom needs to stay on homebound on
a month by month basis as long as she is breastfeeding (not return to
school).  There were so many reasons (excuses) given that it was mind
boggling.  For example, no available electrical outlets for the pump, no
students allowed to roam halls between classes so a teacher would have to
personally escort her back and forth from her pumping sessions and the males
among the ranks were extremely un- comfortable just escorting this young
woman to her pumping place.  This is much more distressing to me than it is to
the young mom and her family.  I think they are resigned to the fact of
returning to school and introducing formula to this exclusively breastfed baby
which is of course the expected turn of events around here (southern USA)
and not inclined to fight or become a trailblazer.  So sad!  We can only try to
help her find ways to continue offering mom's milk as much as possible and
protect her awesome milk supply.