Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:56:03 -0700
----- Original Message ----
From: heather <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:08:45 PM
Subject: [LACTNET] iron status at 12 mths and bf
http://adc.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/92/10/850?etoc
I can only see the abstract of this study, and the full paper might
reveal more (as ever).
But I am curious. The results show that babies of 6-12 mths who
have > 6 breastfeeds a day are more likely to be anaemic or to have
low iron status (according to WHO references).  '41% of infants
having >6 breast feeds per day had iron intakes below the lower
reference nutrient intake'
<...>
I do wonder if the WHO reference is set a bit too high?
The babies were a large observed cohort in the West of England - it's
part of the well-known ALSPAC study.
Comments?

Dear friends,
Just training my ability to use logic:
If large amounts of children breastfed according to the biological norm show a certain range of iron levels, could it not be that that is the biological norm for well-fed children of that age?

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL in southern Netherlands