From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 18:15:27 -0600
Dear Lactnetters,

To everyone who sent such wonderful support for our "Nurse-in", here's
an update:

Our Nurse-in was a complete success!  We received wide, positive
coverage and our local tv newscast ran our story as the top story of the
day!  One tv station attended, along with several reporters from our
state's major newspaper, several small papers, and the university-based
radio station.

The Albuquerque Journal carried our story on the front page of the
"Metro" section, complete with a color photo of moms breastfeeding.

There were over 30 mothers nursing their babies of all size and age.
Two fathers lent their support as well.  We all bought something and had
a great time talking about breastfeeding as reporters swarmed about. Of
course, the media was very sympathetic to our cause and the news story
was very positive, even going as far as broadcasting the new state law
protecting breastfeeding in public over the air and comments from
breastfeeding moms and the Senator who introduced the bill.

The radio aired their piece the very same day, during their talk radio
show.  Again, we received very positive exposure :-)

The owners of the juice bar did a 360 degree about-face and GUSHED, "We
just LOVE babies, all babies, even breastfed babies."  These are the
same owners who sent a very nasty letter to a breastfeeding mom stating
"I do not believe that because a child is involved, a woman should be
able to pull up her shirt and expose herself in public, covered by a
blanket or not."

Anyway, we had a terrific turnout.  Our whole point was to educate the
owners and the general public that nursing in public is every mother's
legal right.

Feeling proud for standing up for what I believe in . . .
Heidi S. Roibal in Albuquerque, NM