From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:52:08 -0400
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Kimberly Elms wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, especially if this question has been brought up
> before.  I was pondering a statement that reads to the effect that
> kids/people who were breastfed, on average, had higher IQ's than those
> who were not breastfed.
> Do you think it is from the breastmilk itself, or that women who
> breastfeed (and their bf friendly families) are more likely to spend
> "quality time" with with youngsters; thereby advocating self-confidence
> and the independence necessary to be curious (which might equate into a
> higher IQ score)?

According to a colleague of mine, university professor and very competent
in Maternal and Child Health, good quality research, accounting for
differences in parenting, indicate a better development in brastfed
babies. One of these researches, in fact, follow-up babies who were
tube-fed by nurses... My friend is supposed to send me the references.

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H Chargee
d'enseignement clinique Departement de medecine sociale et preventive