Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:55:27 EST
     I am currently working with a Post-Partum Depression, hypo-thyroid mom
who is approximately 7 weeks post-partum.   Baby is phenomenal.  He will still
nurse despite multiple bottles.  In fact, he still roots to breast at feeds.

     It is mom who needs the help.  Thyroid meds were halted shortly after
birth (gee, no wonder she initially quit due to poor milk supply?).  She has
also been experiencing heavy post-partum depression.  This is her first baby,
she is 40 yrs old, and has had a history of depression.  She began her thyroid
meds again, and a psychiatrist put her on Luvox, and I hate to admit it, but I
don't have a current Medications in Mother's Milk.  Does anyone know when the
'98 edition will come out?

    I believe that increased milk production could elevate her mood.  It
wouldn't hurt to have some Prolactin coarsing through her body.  Also,
breastfeeding could help her with the bonding process that she seems to be
lacking with her baby;  not to mention the health benefits.  We will be
gradually increasing pumpings, and she has been putting the baby to the breast
every once and a while, prior to taking meds.  I wouldn't mind some guidance
on this one...

                                              Debbie Albert, Ph.D., IBCLC