From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:20:39 -0500
Most hospitals in the Chicago metro area (up to wisconsin border, south
to around Joliet) have staff LCs at least full time weekdays, many have
7 day a week coverage. The LCs are responsible for clinical care of
patients, staff education, patient education, outpatient consults and
phone help. Lucky is the LC who only has to do clinical care!  I think
that is the case in many metro areas of big cities. Some folks I know
have positions funded by grants, some are funded by the Maternal Child
departments, and others salaries are paid by contributions from the
Mother Baby unit, NICU, Pediatrics and Labor & Delivery.  In a middle to
upper class area, having an LC is a patient satisfaction issue; in an
inner city, low income area, breastfeeding is a health, parenting and
economic issue.  Marketing LC services is something all of us do, every
day in every contact we have with patients, staff and the community.
Our hospital is an inner city hospital, most patients are on public
assistance of some kind, yet in some cases they get to choose where they
deliver. If we can do any advertising or public relations at all in
tandem with the Maternal Child health services area, it can help utilize
the services of an LC.
Mary Kay Smith, CLE, IBCLC
Romeoville, IL