From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 04:47:47 +0000
I was wondering how you all determine what size nipple shield to use? I have
not had any shields at all to use at the hospital where I work, but have
used them occasionally in the past at other facilities. Soon we are going to
be carrying Medela products and we will have access to shields. I have heard
it discussed that the baby's mouth should be the determining factor in
choosing a size, and I have heard it discussed that the mother's nipple size
should determine what size to use (stating a large nipple cannot fit inside
a small shield).
What criteria do all of you use? Do you actually measure or do you just
*eyeball* it and guesstimate?
Also choosing a pump flange (I believe Medela carries a 24mm, 27mm, and 30mm
size opening),  do you carry a tape measure and measure the nipple?
Thank you,

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA