From:
Teresa Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 08:16:00 PST
  Someone posted this to an ap parenting list ... is there any truth to this?!

WIC
  vouchers and get more formula for *** since she is not bf so much anymore.
 >> But anyway, they told me there is a new federal law: all mothers that are
  bf now and those planning to will have to
  1. go to bf classes 3 nights a week for 3 weeks.
  2. Will have to go weekly to get blood test done for hiv and other diseases.

  3. will have to pump 6 oz or more a day or will be required to immediately
  stop bf and put the baby on formula.
  They told me this law will go into effect on May 1, 1999. I am outraged and
  am looking up all the gov sites to try and voice my opinion on this.>>

  Janice, mom of Zack (11/30/92) and Gina (9/4/96)
  Lay BF counselor and editorial consultant
  Westerville, OH <<

I am a Peer Counselor for WIC in Oregon. I have heard nothing about such law
and who in the world has the power to enforce this anyway? Sounds bogus,
someone getting hassled by the dieticians for wanting formula. Not that I am
against the hassling, mind you, but when these women decided they want formula
instead of nutritious food they have made up their minds and theres no
changing them. If there is such a law I would be the first to try to slap it
down. Just one more instance of big brother trying to control our personal
lives when it isn't any of their business. (You can't tell I just got pulled
over and got a ticket for not wearing my seat belt can you?) I would be
interested in any further info on this!

Teresa Myers
Peer Breastfeeding Counselor, Washington County WIC
Volunteer, Nursing Mothers Counsel of Oregon