From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:23:37 -0700
I have a friend in another state whose sister just adopted a new baby. The
new mom wants to feed her baby exclusively with breastmilk for at least a
few months, and so my friend has been pumping extra milk, about 13 oz a day,
for the new little one. The mom would like to make up the daily deficit with
additional donor milk, and has received offers from some local moms.

We have been discussing the relative risks-- aside from HIV, Hepatitis and
TB, what other things would you be concerned about? What kinds of
precautions would be reasonable?

Second question: A mom in another state has about 1000oz of milk she has
collected since the birth of her own baby last December, and is willing to
donate it for this baby. Healthy history is not an issue with this donor,
and the milk has been in a deep freeze. Would you go ahead and use it for
this baby? Is 8 mos too long?

I'd appreciate thoughtful input for my friend.

Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC