Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:20:12 EST
Being in a pediatric office and seeing our babies at day 3-5 of age, we see a
wide range of weight loss (and sometimes gain, yesterday 4 day old was 1 oz
over BW and only bfed).  When we see a baby that looks really good and has
lost close to a pound, we ask questions about labor and the urine output for
first day.  If mother got pit and/or several bags of IV fluids before the
birth, I've found that babies are having lots of urine output on day 1.  I
think that the baby takes on some of the edema of the mother from being over
hydrated.   It's always important to look at the total picture with these
little people (or anyone for that matter), not just the numbers.  Breastfeed
babies in our practice are quickly referred to me to determine how the
breastfeeding is going or if it needs fixing or if formula is truly needed.

Warm regards,
Pat Lindsey, IBCLC - Lactation Services  www.PatLC.com
Pediatrics Plus' Lactation Consultant   www.pedsplus.com
Orlando, FL