Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:17:03 EST
Dear  President Pat Turner:
    I understand from various sources, both within the ICEA Board and
without, that there has been a lack of open and honest communication between
Board members about the decision to link with industry and endorse bottle and
teat use in education materials to the public. This link with industry is in
violation of the WHO Code, as well as the ICEA position paper on infant
feeding.
    I understand that ICEA has not yet cleared its name. I personally have
been told that  by ex-President Coleman "since not all mothers breastfeed, it
is okay for ICEA to advertise bottles and teats." And also, that "ICEA is not
a breastfeeding organization." Following that logic, I would expect ICEA to
endorse formula advertising, cigarettes, and high-fat foods. After all, some
people will choose to use these things, so why shouldn't ICEA offer
information about them?
    This is totally upsetting as I expect my organization to "walk its talk"
and be a shining example. But then if the President of the USA can lie and
quibble about definitions, I guess it is okay for ICEA to do it.
    ICEA has already lost the support and cache of Kathleen Auerbach and Jack
Newman as consultants, two of the most prominent lactation experts in the
world. Doesn't that mean anything? Does that tell the Board that this deal
with Impact Media is very serious, that ICEA's reputation as a credible and
honorable organization is plummeting?
    Sincerely,
Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, ICCE, CSTP
Elkins Park (a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,  northeastern USA)