From:
vicki hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:49:55 +0200
my personal experience:
I was in the ICU after my first son was born in 2000. I had a postpartum
inverted uterus with attached placenta, lost "4-5L of blood," and between
the 7L of IV boluses and the blood transfusions, my eyelids were swollen
almost completely closed and when I did try to open them, I didn't know why
I couldn't see anything (I asked if (the babies' ophthalmic) erythromycin
ointment had been put in MY eyes!)

(after the ketamine hallucinations...yuck), when I was awake/aware enough to
realize that I was in the ICU, I immediately asked the nurse to call to the
OB floor to get a pump for me. I was told "it won't matter, you don't have
anything to give to him." I tried to explain I needed to pump to stimulate
my breasts for milk production. I was also told if I did get anything that I
couldn't possibly give it my baby because of all the drugs in the O.R and
ICU. I refused any more morphine because all it did was put me to sleep, and
I was determined to get out of the ICU and nurse my baby!

I was back to the OB floor 16 hours later, immediately put him to breast,
and never let him leave my room. years of reading lactnet have made me
wonder-I can't believe I didn't have any complications or breastfeeding
difficulties from the experience. I had a huge supply by the 3rd day and we
nursed for 2 1/2 years!

vicki hayes, RN IBCLC mom of 3 boys, in chipiona spain