Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 17:39:15 +1000
Hi Cynthia,
>Mom #2 delivered this morning.  A few days ago she went to her OB for
itchy,
>painful vagina and was diagnosed with vaginal yeast and given medication.
>After she delivered she asked her OB if she should continue the medication
and
>the OB said no, the yeast would resolve on it's own now that she has
>delivered.

This is probably true. Studies that took swabs during labour and a few days
postpartum, found that candida present prior to delivery had disappeared
without treatment (eg Gillespie HL et al 1960. Incidence of Candida in
vagina during pregnancy.... Obstet Gynecol 16: 185-188.) This is thought to
be due to the sudden decrease in oestrogen.

 She also asked if her baby was at increased risk of thrush because
>of the vaginal yeast infection and OB said no.

Well, the baby may develop oral thrush, but also may not. She could be told
what to look out for (white patches in baby's mouth, sore nipples), but
doesn't need to start any treatment yet.

Re: colloidal silver question - I've not heard of this treatment.

Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC still in Melbourne, Australia, but has new address:
mailto:[log in to unmask]