From:
Paul Zimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:47:25 -0600
Linda,

Thanks for bringing up an excellent point.  The iron used to fortify ABM is
essentially iron filings (really tiny ones).  This form of elemental iron is

VERY poorly absorbed (as per Dr. Fomon's reference) even with the extra
vitamin C added to ABM (vitamin C promotes the absorption of iron to some
extent).  Some of it is absorbed though, which is why cast-iron cookware or
tap water high in iron will, over a period of months or years, eventually
contribute to a person's iron status.  One mother in a recent study of mine
had excellent iron stores at two months postpartum.  When I asked her why
(it
is rather rare at two months), she said, "Oh, our well water is practically
red with iron!"

As for alternative sources of iron for ABM-fed infants (other than the
breastmilk gold standard, of course!), there are other iron compounds that
are better absorbed than elemental iron, but they are more expensive for ABM

companies to add.  I could not recommend any particular commercial product
for this purpose because I have not used or tested such products in a
clinical setting.  As a rule of thumb, low doses of iron supplement work as
well as higher doses without the attendant side effects in patients with
iron-
deficiency anemia.

Paul Zimmer, Ph.D.