From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:34:45 -0800
Julie:  Welcome to Lactnet.  Without pouncing on you or crushing your
enthusiasm for soy for adult women, I need to caution you about using soy in
babies.  Babies who have been fed soy formula have had serum (blood)
"sterol" (estrogens in particular) levels 11,000 times what is normal.  We
believe that this elevation <<may>> be responsible for precoscious puberty,
breast cancer, prostate cancer, ovarian, and colon cancer.  I don't have the
references in front of me, but can produce them if necessary (someone else
might know them off the top of their heads).

So, what does this mean?  Well, I for one would not use soy with my kids
(all three of whom have been fortunate to never need any formula and were
all naturally weaned, actually my toddler is still nursing).  If it came
down to it, I would go for an augmented protein formula like Ail...ntum, or
Nut...m.gn.  HOWEVER, if it was at all within financial means to a person,
the perferable substitute for mom's own milk is human milk from a milk bank.

Warmly,
Chris

--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
€€€INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: LACTATION CONSULTING & PERINATAL CARE€€€
1807 NW Beca Ave., Corvallis, Oregon 97330
mom, wife, active UU church member, educator, lactation consultant,
homeschool mom, researcher, scientist, author, organic gardener,
photographer, wilderness adventurer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner;)