From:
Theodorou/Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:52:45 -0800
Hi everyone,
Back in February I posted a request for suggestions for Mary Ellen Rhoades re:

>>44year old first time mother. Took both oral and injectable hormones for over
>>18 mos. After a C-sec, mother went home double pumping and finger feeding.
>>She has *very* large breasts ( bra size 40G), with broad and flat nipples.
>>Baby will not latch. Mo has been pumping every 2-3 hours for almost 6 days.

I promised an update:
    First of all Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions we received.
We followed up on every one. Here are some of the results.
    We got  her a larger shield for the pump (the Flexi-shell Diane
suggested). We were able to give her one with a longer tunnel, and the two
pump company reps  co operated to get her other options to try. She was
eventually able to get 1-3ccs of breastmilk per day. Not much. Her breasts
remained "mushy". Even though she was incredibly dedicated re: pumping.
    Prolactin tests showed normal levels before nursing and **lowered
levels** after nursing. Any ideas? We can get the actual numbers if anyone
wants.
    We had difficulty obtaining oxytocin. Is it more available in some
areas than others? The mom found veternary grade, injectable oxytocin, but
when the pharmacist suggested pitocin on a cotton swab in her nostril we
went with that. Unfortunately she got a bloody nose immediately. That's
when her OB pulled his   support for any new interventions.
    The truly sad news is that although her baby showed no abnormalities
during a well monitored pregnancy, nor immediately after birth, he is now
beginning seizures. A brain scan showed he had abnormal brain waves on one
side. Mom is a special ed. teacher so may be just the right person to care
for this baby. The focus has changed from Bfing to identifying the problems
the baby has. Mom is emotionally drained and is weaning.

Thank you all again for all your help. This has been an incredible
experience in community networking and professional cooperation. This mom
can really know that she tried everything and her baby got at least *some*
breastmilk for a month.

Laurie Theodorou
Jackson Co. WIC
Medford,Oregon