From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2011 07:39:25 -0800
Re:

http://tinyurl.com/49kmlpj

Obesity epidemic results in bigger babies

Not only THIS, but in my own experience as a La Leche League Leader and
Grandma - ALL my grandchildren and almost all our LLL moms (except for those
with "unusually" (for LLL) heavy babies are being told by their doctors to
"get him/her to eat more."   I spend a great deal of time in meetings saying
"your baby is PERFECT".

The last call I got on Wednesday - the MD told her that her NINE month old
should be "eating five times a day" on TOP of breastfeeding.  She was ready
to quit breastfeeding so she could "try to get her" to eat more!  Baby was
slim (15 lbs, 8 oz) but length was fine, dropped to 50th percentile in
weight for age and was crawling, pulling up and climbing, talking.and mom is
5 ft, less than 100 lbs.

Doctors seem to be ONLY using the graphs . what happened to a full
evaluation of the whole child.and asking questions, considering the
consequences of the information given.  Oh wait, they only have 10
minutes/patient (if that!).they just enter stuff into a computer and says
what it spits out to say.

I guess I'll go to "google" for MY health care information, then!  <grin>

In fact, the World Health Organization has a software program that lets you
enter weight, height, head circumference AND developmental milestones.but it
STILL takes a human being to review/make it useful!

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/software/en/

Jeanette Panchula, BA-SW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

Cell: 707-290-8200