From:
Linda Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 19:25:46 -0700
A mother of a 13 month old called me because she is engorged because she is
weaning immediately.  Why, you ask.  The ophthomologist told her that she
must wean because she is having lasik surgery.  This is the flap and zap
laser treatment to cure nearsightenness by reshaping the cornea.  The
doctor told her that the hormones would alter how the laser worked.  Is
this just another bunch of c---?  I told this mom that I had never heard of
hormones causing corneal changes.  I asked her to ask the doctor for
documentation so I could have it for my files, and to ask him if pregnancy,
menses or bc pills would cause any problems.  After all, these are all the
same hormones just in differing amounts.
        Doctors out there..Jack, Nancy, Rob,  is there any possibility that
this is true?  Or is it again sacrificing breastfeeding on the alter of
ignorance?

TIA
Linda

Linda Stewart,RN, MSN,IBCLC