From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:17:07 -0500
Anyone here who is responsible for renting out breastpumps, do you
have specific protocols to keep from having them stolen?  I am asking
b/c I got news that our volunteer group had a Lactina stolen a while
back and I wondered if there were good ideas to make this less likely.

The lady came to rent the pump and paid a deposit and 30$ which I
think is about 10 days rental (3$ per day).  She left with the pump
and the personal kit that you have to buy when using one of these
pumps.  Well, a couple of weeks later, our pump rental person tried
calling her to see if she was still needing the pump and would be
coming back/sending a cheque to pay more or if she'd be returning it
soon and the phone number didn't exist.  She tried sending a letter
and the address was unknown.  Didn't exist.  One pump down the drain.
  She said she couldn't figure out what the lady would do with this
pump once she didn't need it anymore and I said to her "J, do you not
think it's possible she didn't even need it in the first place, and
paid her whatever amount the 30$ plus deposit and kit made out to be
and then went and sold it for a big profit on e-bay?".  I mean, these
pumps are 1400$+ canadian so even if she sold it like 400$ or so she'd
make a profit.  It seems it would have been easy to do, no?  Anyhow,
ever since this, the pump rental person uses her call display to take
down the phone number, and finds an excuse to call the person back
with an extra question "right after the call", plus pluggs it into
411.ca on a reverse lookup so she has the supposed address and matches
it with the address the person fills out on the rental form...but are
there other good ideas out there?  Also...is there any way to trace a
pump via say serial number or whatever?

Thanks in advance!

Fio
ressource person with Allaitement Québec
Mama to Sandrine, almost 4 and Nyssa, 15 mos, tandem nursing.