From:
rebecca mannel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 06:54:55 -0600
Does anyone have any info on IDDM or GDM moms bfdg when their blood sugar
is elevated and the effect on the milk? Our moms are told that if their
blood sugar is over 120-150 then too much sugar will be in the breastmilk
and this is (of course) bad for baby. Long term can cause 'obesity,
dental caries, preference for sweet foods,...' in the baby. I could not
find any comments on this particular concern in Lawrence or Auerbach or
Biancuzzo's new book. And I have never heard of this before.

Thanks!

Becky Mannel, BS, IBCLC
University Hospital, OKC, OK