From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:13:58 EDT
Dear Friends:
I am a bit confused about this quote from Cathy Fetherstone:

"There was a comment in regard to creamatocrits about Hartmann
research showing there was higher "calorie milk" with low production
than with higher milk productions. This can be open to
misinterpetation. What the Hartmann team's research showed was that the
emptier the breast (low degree of fullness) the higher the fat
content of that milk sample and that the women with lower storage
capacities (but this doesn't mean a lower milk production) had a more
consistent concentration (less variation) of fat in milk when
measuring the differences between fore and hindmilk samples, than
women with higher storage capacities. That is: the higher the degree
of fullness the greater the variation between fore and hind milk
creamatocrits, the lower the degree of breast fullness the less
variation. Degree of fullness (and hence fat content) of the breast is
highly variable throughout the day and is influenced by many things
but in particular is the time since the last feed, and storage
capacity."

"The emptier the breast, the higher the fat content of that sample."

My confusion comes with the "emptier the breast (low degree of fullness) the
less variation in fat content between fore and hind milk."

Does this mean that the higher fat in the sample from the emptier breast has
a relatively constant fat content?

Does this mean a fuller breast has a larger variation in fat content between
the fore and hind milk?

Forgive me if this is obvious to you all; I am trying to get the picture.

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
_http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/_
(http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/)
www.myspace/AdonicaLee