From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:23:09 -0800
fio said "That means most people in
Canada who have regular full-time jobs with reputable
companies have 1 year of leave (well, actually, 6 mos
MATERNITY and 6 mos "parental" leave...the parental
either mom OR dad can take...).  This same girl is
pregnant again and won't nurse b/c she has to go back
to work after a
year"

that's why I love Diane Wiessinger's article "just one
day" that you can find at
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/nurse%20for%20just%20one%20day.htm

I may be getting old and crotchety, but I was offended
when recently the mother of one of my daughter's
friends answered my "Is he still breastfeeding?" query
with "He has like 10 teeth!  and I work 30 hours a
week!"  She was offended that I would even think of
asking her that.  :-(  (I want to flood her with
articles, but it wouldnt' be heard.)

yes, Kathy, we do have to let people know that all
mothers work and should still have time to mother
their babies.  I wish my area of expertise paid enough
to make sense for me to WOH so that I could speak with
more authority on working and breastfeeding.  As it
is, I can't afford to work as a small animal
physiologist anymore.  (Not to mention the allergies
from not being breastfed myself)