Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:51:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hello!

As a brief intro, I am a hospital-based IBCLC, currently working 20 hrs/wk. or so as an IBCLC and 12 hrs/wk as a Level II staff RN. I have "lurked" on Lactnet for some time (and have learned a lot while doing so), but this is my first post. I have a question for all of you regarding a mother I met
this week (I have her permission to post).

Briefly, mother is a gravida 3 para 3 who breastfed her first two for over a year each.  She had an uncomplicated pregnancy this time until about 28 weeks, when she had a spell of bloody coughing.  The ensuing workup diagnosed primary lung cancer (she has never smoked).  Chemo was started, but since
the tumor continued to grow, labor was induced and she delivered a 32 week girl.  More aggressive chemo and radiation was then started.  Currently, scans show metastasis to the spine (cancer was also found in the placenta); she has some facial numbness, as well.  She has a cousin who is
breastfeeding a healthy 7 month-old baby.  That mom has plenty of milk, and is willing to donate EBM for this baby.  The neos were initially somewhat open but have since decided that they are not comfortable with using donor milk.  (Ironically, another hospital within the same large system is
planning to open a milk bank within the next month or two!)

Mom's question is: once baby goes home, can milk from her cousin be given then, or at least alternated with formula?  Knowing these neos, the baby will probably be discharged on 22cal Neosure.  (I have recipes to fortify EBM to whatever strength is deemed necessary.)  Mom is still very much wanting
baby to have breastmilk - to some extent, she see this as one last thing she can try to arrange for her, since mom's MDs have predicted two weeks, and maybe a bit more, for her to live.  What are your thoughts on this?  Nancy Wight, are you reading?

Thanks in advance,
Suellen Williams, RN, IBCLC
Franklin, Indiana

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2