From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 18:49:38 -0500
My brother and I (both over 60) were products of typical 1930's - 40's
deliveries, my sister - a 50's baby who spent her first two weeks in
hospital because of Rh disease.  Our dad was the typical dad of that era -
not involved in the kids.   In 1972 he drove my sister and her immed.
post-op husband (gall bladder removal) to the hospital for the birth of my
sister's first child.  Daddy hung around all day in the birthing suite and
when the midwife asked if he was staying for the delievery he said "Oh, no."
Except he just never left :-)  Then we had this lovely bonding time etc.
after the delivery.  After the baby and mom came home my dad, then 60 yrs
old, would wander over to her house daily (across the street) to check on
the baby!  My sister said sometimes he didn't even talk to her! Just checked
the baby out. This was grandchild number 9. I've always thought this was an
example of early attachment.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ (and yes, I know one
example does not a theory make :-)