From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:23:52 -0400

>Regarding the Hollister written materials, it is my goal to reflect only the highest
>values there, as well

I don't know about others, but I feel this is one of the best (and most
concise -- not my personal strong point!) statements of ethics I have
read. May we all strive to reflect the highest values in all our work. A
Canadian philosopher said something which I heard as 'thinking about
ethics is thinking ethically,' and the effort to think about what's
right and trying to do it seems to me to be the foundation of ethics,
across all cultures and borders. Striving towards the goal of higher
values in every one of our words and gestures, rather than judging
whether we have succeeded or whether others have recognized that we have
reached it, is what counts. We all work within a set of constraints: our
own abilities and those of others, the place we are in (huge
restrictions in the here and now of breastfeeding!) and -- I don't know,
the alignment of the planets? dumb luck (and the dumber lack of it)?
Doing our best within those parameters is "good enough" breastfeeding
help just as *attempting* to understand our children is "good enough"
mothering, whether or not we fully achieve it... and of course we can't,
ever, know exactly what each mother or child needs, nor can we meet it.

When I was thirty, I would have found this idea frustrating. Being the
mother of young adults makes me see things differently. I don't take the
credit -- the credit goes to the ones actually living their lives ("our"
mothers, our children) -- but I see that relationship works in amazing
and rich ways.

Sorry -- at this time of year, I get philosophical. Once the days are
longer, I might be more grounded in the real. :-)

Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, PhD, IBCLC