Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:45:52 EDT
jan,
It is interesting to see the variations in even the JCAHO surveyors. One year
ago when our hosp was surveyed the OB surveyor asked me
1. Why was there no milk(cow's milk) in the patient's fridge for new mothers
to drink?
    ( We had done too thorough a job of cleaning up the night before and
ditched all opened containers in the fridge!)
    I told her they can request it on their diet menus if so desired and that
really mothers don't need to drink milk to make milk! She went on to the next
question.
2. How do we not make women feel guilty for choosing not to breastfeed? Dr.
Jack would have a field day with this lady!!!

3. She did not look in our breastmilk freezer or refridgerator. She asked me
to bring all of our breastfeeding literature to the meeting and then never
looked at it. She did ask to see what we had in Spanish but also never looked
at that.

When NYS did their survey they wanted to know about our rates, our teaching
programs for new moms and how we coordinate support for after D/C. They also
asked basic questions and did not delve too much.
Jane Ciaramella RNC,IBCLC