From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 06:06:02 -0500
I am so glad that this woman is going for a second opinion.  It infuriates
me though that she has to do this.  In cases like this, a prolactin level
is certainly indicated as is an ultrasound.  In our area, Riordan and
Auerbach is referred to all the time by the physicians and nurses and as
far as I know, that's the only reference on the subject.  I also recall
this physician saying that he/she has references to the contrary-what
references!?  I hope whatever is found is reported to her first physician.
I don't mean to be doctor-bashing, but for any health care professional,
ignorance is no excuse for poor care!  Yet we see it everyday with
lactation related issues. Perhaps we should channel our energies so if
there's nothing in the literature to support this then perhaps our
collective minds on the list should change that!  Thanks for keeping us
posted.

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources  http://www.childbirth.org/bbfr
Manhattan, KS  USA